Welcome to the 2018 Apple September launch event, where the company delivered the long-awaited (well, since this time last year) details on its new iPhones, the flagship iPhone XS Max, its little buddy the iPhone XS and a mainstream replacement for the iPhone x, the iPhone XR. Plus, the Apple Watch Series 4 goes all-in on health with a built-in ECG and more.
As usual, the Apple Store went down in advance of the new product announcements.
In addition to its main mobile-device product announcements, Apple updated us on other product lines and how well it’s doing, and more. Tim Cook pwned Twitter with a seemingly mistaken tweet that led into a Mission: Impossible-style intro. Here’s the highlights:
- All the original Apple TV programming that’s been announced so far. Plus, Apple just signed deals for two movies: They star wolves and elephants.
- Apple is about to ship its 2 billionth iOS device.
- The iPhone XS uses recycled tin and bio-based plastics (and more), part of Apple’s clean and renewable energy push.
- Updates to the HomePod to make it more useful.
- Price drops on the existing iPhones, with the iPhone 7 starting at 49.
iPhone XS and XS Max
This is the big news that fans have been eagerly awaiting, prompting a leak- and speculation-fest in the months leading up to the big announcement. Wait no more.
- They incorporate the industry’s first 7nm CPU, the new A12 Bionic.
- New cameras supplemented with AI-enhanced capabilities such as Smart HDR and facial feature detection (‘facial landmarking’).
- iPhone XS starts at 99, the iPhone XS Max starts at ,099. Both are shipping on Sept. 21.
Because not everyone can afford the flagships, there’s the more affordable iPhone XR. It has an LCD-based, 6.1-inch ‘Liquid Retina’ display.
- It too incorporates the A12 Bionic chip, the same (single) wide-angle camera as the XS models, and the same AI-driven camera features.
- Six finishes, four capacities, starts at 49. Preorders start Oct. 19 and it ships Oct. 26.
New iPhone prices
|iPhone XR||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
Apple Watch Series 4
Thanks to its new zero-bezel design and having replaced the button with haptic touch regions, the new series of the Apple Watch increases its face size to 40mm and 44mm.
- When you’ll be able to get Watch OS 5 for your current model.
- It now has an FDA-cleared built-in electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG), fall detection with emergency calls and more.
- Preorders start on Friday, Sept. 14, it ships Sept. 21, and prices start at 00 for the new models.